About Implant Dentistry
Implant dentistry specializes in making sure that a patient’s dental implant has healed successfully, functions properly, and looks like it was intended to look. A dental implant procedure is a team effort between your oral surgeon and your restorative dentist. Your oral surgeon will place the titanium post into your gum, and it will eventually fuse with your jaw bone. When you are ready, Dr. Oji will create and place your custom-made crown over the dental implant post.
Types of Dental Implants
There are several types of implants to choose from depending on your smile needs:
- Dental Implant. The most common procedure to replace a tooth is a dental implant, which consists of three parts: a titanium post, a connecting abutment, and a crown. Dr. Oji works with your oral surgeon to ensure the post has fused with your jaw bone. When you are ready, they will place a crown on the abutment. This crown is custom-made to match the size, shape, and color of your other teeth, which makes it indistinguishable from natural teeth. A dental implant doesn’t put any strain on your other teeth like a fixed bridge would, and when properly taken care of with regular brushing and flossing, it won’t need to be replaced.
- Fixed Bridge. A fixed bridge can be used if you are missing multiple teeth next to each other, or if a single missing tooth doesn’t have enough supportive bone for an implant. Dr. Oji will use the existing teeth on both sides of the missing tooth to hold the bridge in place. This type of bridge is permanent and can only be removed by your dentist. You must also be sure to properly clean around your bridge to prevent cavities.
- Full-Arch Restoration. This treatment replaces an entire row of missing or damaged teeth and is ideal for patients who are suffering from tooth loss or who need to have multiple teeth replaced. Learn more on our full-arch restoration page.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants can be your key to unlocking a complete smile. They offer many fantastic benefits, such as:
- Durability. With proper care, they can last a lifetime.
- Improved appearance.
- Improved confidence.
- Enjoy the foods you want to eat.
- Convenience. They don’t need to be removed like dentures.
- Improved oral health. A dental implant adds stability to your jaw bone.
- Comfort. An implant is custom-made, so you won’t even know it’s there.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Dr. Oji focuses on the restorative part of a dental implant, which means that your oral surgeon will actually place the implant. Dr. Oji will place the custom-made crown and make sure that it looks, feels, and functions as it was intended to. Dr. Oji and her staff specialize in ensuring that your implant matches your other teeth and lasts for many years to come.
Dental Implant Cost
The cost of an implant is determined by many factors, such as the details of your insurance coverage, the number of teeth that need to be replaced, the type of implant, the selection of anesthesia, and more. Visit our financial information page to learn more about payment and insurance information.
Denture Replacement With Dental Implants
We offer a long-term replacement option for patients who wear dentures but who desire a more secure, comfortable, and healthy tooth replacement solution. Traditional dentures do not prevent jaw bone loss because they sit on top of the bony ridge in the mouth. While they can restore the appearance of missing teeth, dentures are limited in their functionality.
Through full-arch restoration, we can use dental implant posts to secure a fixed denture. Your new teeth will be fixed in place and will look and function just like an arch of natural teeth. The implants stimulate the jaw, preventing bone loss. If you currently wear full or partial dentures and are looking for a more long-term solution, contact our office today to learn about denture replacement in Fresno, CA.
Dental Implant FAQ
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Most adult patients are candidates for dental implants. If there is not enough healthy bone in your jaw, Dr. Oji will discuss treatment options for you. You may require a bone graft before you can receive a dental implant.
Will It Hurt?
We offer anesthesia options to help you remain comfortable and at ease during your procedure, including local anesthetic and nitrous oxide. Our patients’ safety and comfort are our top priorities. Visit our anesthesia options page to learn more.
Why Should I Choose a Restorative Dentist?
Restorative dentists undergo specialized training and education in sophisticated dental devices, such as implants. Dr. Oji will work closely with your oral surgeon to ensure your dental implant heals and functions properly. Restorative dentists are also more skilled when it comes to cosmetic procedures, such as teeth whitening and dental crowns.
How Long Is the Procedure?
If you need to have a tooth extracted, your oral surgeon could place the implant post at the same time as the extraction. The length of your treatment will depend on the health of your jaw and tissue, your body’s ability to heal, and the number of teeth that you need to replace. Dr. Oji will discuss your treatment in detail with you, so you know exactly what to expect and how long you can anticipate your treatment lasting.
How Do I Take Care of a Dental Implant?
You take care of your implant the same way as your other teeth: with regular brushing and flossing. An implant is not taken out or placed in special rinses like dentures, so you treat it just like a natural tooth. With proper oral care, your dental implant can last a lifetime.
Let us know! We look forward to addressing all of your questions and concerns regarding dental implants. Please contact our office to learn more and to schedule your consultation appointment.